Who doesn’t love a good chili recipe?!
When the air is crisp and football is on, I grab everything to make my favorite chili for the weekend. Chili is a great recipe to have fun with. The best part of chili is you can really customize it however your family likes.
I got about this far with photos and was so entranced with the smell of onions… Just kidding, my toddler was screaming.
My husband and I are typically traditional with our recipe. This week I left out the cayenne pepper because I didn’t want it too spicy for Oliver. He had so much fun taking tortilla chips and dipping in to his bowl!
I made my chili in under an hour and let it simmer for about 45 minutes. I usually like to let it simmer for 2 hours. It was even better for leftovers the next day!
SUNDAY NIGHT CHILI
- 2 lbs. Ground Beef OR 1 lb beef & 1 lb turkey
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cans Great Northern Beans (drained)
- 2 cans Kidney Beans (drained)
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 cloves Garlic
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tbsp Ground Cumin
- 3 tbsp Chili Powder
- (Cayenne Pepper is optional - I did not add)
- 2 - 29oz cans of Tomato Sauce
- 2 - 14.5 oz cans of Diced Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- Dash of Oregano
- Heat olive oil in pot and add the 2 lbs of ground beef. Season with salt and pepper and cook until beef is browned.
- Remove and drain, set aside.
- Chop onion and garlic and add to pan with a splash of olive oil. Sauté until onions are translucent (and smell delicious!)
- Remove from heat and add 1 tbsp Cumin, 3 tbsp chili powder (add cayenne pepper for a kick)
- Stir and coat the onions.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beans (drained), cocoa powder, oregano and your beef.
- Mix well and let simmer for 1-2 hours.
- Once you serve in to bowl, add some cheese and enjoy!
My gang loves chili, I pinned this to make later thanks for sharing!
Yummy! I’m lying in bed with a cold right now and this is exactly what I need. Hope I have most of the ingredients around so I can actually make it…I’m tired of having soups all the time! 🙂
Thanks for sharing 🙂
Looks delicious. I’m making chilli this weekend for sure. It’s a great one to make a big batch of and put lots in the freezer too. I love that you use cocoa which gives it such a gorgeous rich flavour. I also add cinnamon too.
Ishah Whipple says
Definitely trying this. Not quite cool here in AZ, but my family loves chili any day!
Amazing! Can’t wait to try it! This spends like the type of comfort food I love to eat when I get home after a long day. Definitely cooking this recipe this weekend! Thanks for sharing 😀 (and making me hungry hahah 😉 )
Amy | Loving Our Messy says
This looks so good! Sunday nights are perfect for chili nights! Pinning for later!